Who should be tested for Diabetes
- If you have a family history
- If you are overweight, central obesity i.e. In man waist size 90 cm or more, in Women 80 cm or more
- If you are above 40 years of age
- If you have Sedentary lifestyle
- If you Loose weight without trying
- If you are Pregnant
- If you deliver a child with birth weight more than 3 kgs
How is Diabetes managed?
- The most important aspect of Diabetes management is maintaining a healthy lifestyle & reducing risk of developing complications. Diabetes can be managed by:
- Developing healthy eating habits & following your diet plan
- Regular exercise
- Taking oral medication or insulin injections regularly as advised by your doctor
- Regular testing of blood glucose
Can Diabetes be cured? No
- A cure for diabetes has not been found. However, diabetes can be treated and controlled. Most people with diabetes manage their disease and lead normal lives.
- Diabetes will always be part of your life.
Is Diabetes Serious? Yes
- Patients with diabetes are up to twice more likely to develop heart disease & stroke
- Vision impairment & blindness are also common
- Diabetes can cause kidney failure 3 times more compared to those without diabetes
- Gangrene and leg amputation are much higher in diabetes than any other disease which can lead to infection & death
What are the chances of having Diabetes & Hypertension both?
- 40 to 50% patients have Diabetes & Hypertension both*.
- Hence you should be careful & follow your doctors advice strictly.