What is Diabetes?Diabetes is a condition where the blood glucose levels in the body of a person are higher than normal. Food we eat turns into glucose for our body to give us energy. Pancreas is an organ located near the stomach in our body which produces the hormone insulin. Insulin is needed for glucose to enter the cells and get converted into energy. In people with diabetes, the body does not produce enough insulin or often cannot use insulin properly.
Risk factors for Diabetes?The following factors may increase your chance of getting diabetes:
- Family history of diabetes
- Being overweight
- Age > 40 years
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Emotional & Physical stress related to day to day work
- Taking certain medicines
Signs and symptoms of diabetes?
- Frequent urination
- Being very thirsty
- Intense hunger
- Loosing weight without trying
- Blurred vision
- Numbness or tingling in hands and feet
- Getting more infections than usual
- Repeated infections of private parts of body
- Feeling tired
- Slow healing of cuts/bruises
Range of blood glucose
What is the range of blood glucose for normal people & diabetics?
|Normal level of blood glucose||Pre-Diabetes||Diabetes|
|Fasting sugar Less than 100 mg/dl||Fasting sugar 100-125 mg/dl||Fasting sugar 126 & More than 126 mg/dl|
|*2 hours after lunch Less than 140 mg/dl||2 hours after lunch 140-199 mg/dl||2 hours after lunch 200 & More than 200 mg/dl|
* In some patients Doctor may advice Post Glucose Test (Post lunch blood sugar).